Monday 25 June 2012

Aled Davies: Road to London


Our latest blog comes from Aled Davies, an international discus thrower and shot putter for GB. Currently the world record holder for shot and European discus record holder, the 21 year old, from Bridgend has his sights firmly set on London.

I remember watching the Olympics in 2004 with my family, I turned and said to them "one day that will be me on the podium receiving a medal" I set my sights on Olympic glory at a young age.

If selected for London, this will be Aleds' first Paralympic Games
This is my 6th year in my athletics career and I have never looked back. My transition into a full time elite athlete began in 2010 when I was selected for the Junior World Championships and brought home 2 gold’s and broke 2 junior World Records. I then went on to defend those titles in 2011 when I broke both the Junior World Records again and achieved silver in the IPC World Championships in New Zealand, I knew then, that targeting a medal in the London 2012 Paralympic Games wasn't just a dream.


After an amazing winter 2011-2012 I have already began the road to making my dreams a reality by breaking the Senior World Record in the Shot-Putt as well as breaking the European Record in the Discus only 13cm of the senior World Record. I am currently ranked number 1 in the world for both my disciplines and eagerly awaiting team selection on the 10th of July, crossing my fingers that I will be one of the lucky ones on the team roster! 


Emotions are running so high, it's hard to put into words what London would mean to me having fought through so much sweat and tears to be where I’m am today. The London Paralympic Games will hopefully be my first games and for it to be a home games is a once in a life time opportunity. 

I have big aspirations for London and I know what I am capable of achieving, I think it will be a big step in my career, if I, Aled Davies, a Welsh Paralympic performer, can be recognised as an elite performer capable of breaking down barriers and changing people’s opinions of Paralympic sport forever, at the end of the day, is about our abilities, not our disabilities.


Follow Aled and his journey to London on Twitter: @AledDavies2012

No comments:

Post a Comment