Monday 9 July 2012

Alice Viles: Deloitte to Disability Sport Wales


Alice Viles, works in the Private Client Tax department in Deloitte, Cardiff, she has just undertaken her first experience as a volunteer at the Wheelchair Sports Spectacular 2012. The 22 year old, share with us her nerves, expectations and lasting impressions.

I first became aware of Disability Sports Wales when I started working in Deloitte but before then I am ashamed to say I never knew it existed!

Alice volunteered at her first DSW event
Our office gave us the opportunity to volunteer for the Wheelchair Spectacular event and my colleagues said what a brilliant day it was last year so I signed up not really knowing what to expect. On the day of the event I was a little bit nervous (to say the least) and even more so after I heard that about 500 children were expected as (I am not really that great with one child let alone 500)!

I was given a station on the golf stand and can’t really say that I have much experience in the field of golf (and am still far from being an expert!) but gave it a go. The support from the other volunteers and coaches was fantastic and everyone from DSW seemed more than happy to answer any questions. When the event started mid morning the kids started to flood in and the hours flew by as more and more children queued up to give the golf a go. There was a vast range of abilities and ages of children and adults and making the activity work for every one was a bit challenging at first but I soon got used to it and did all I could to allow all abilities to give it a go.

The sense of achievement I got from seeing a child going from being very distracted by everything that was going on and unsure about themselves to becoming transfixed on the game and beaming with happiness when they hit the target was so rewarding. Their parents and carers were also so thankful of the volunteers and to see their reaction to the children’s happiness made me feel really appreciated. It was such a humbling experience to see young people with severe levels of disability giving the golf a go and seeing the enjoyment in their eyes was something I will never forget.

The atmosphere was so uplifting and coming away from the event I felt so humble and inspired by the children (and their hardworking carers!). I am now looking into volunteering on weekends as I loved every minute of the experience.


If you would like to get involved in volunteering at Disability Sport Wales events, please email: office@disabilitysportwales.com

No comments:

Post a Comment